Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Blog 10


        The article “Freak Factor” by David Rendall is all about how to deal with your strengths and weakness, and how they ultimately go together. In the article, Rendall describes nine different ways to deal with the strengths and weakness you have. Each idea is different, but they are all based around the same principle; we are all freaks, and that is totally ok.
I am going to take a look at three of the points that Rendall talks about in his article. The first point I am going to look at is point 5 “Foundation: Build on Your Strengths”. This point is about the fact that you have to continue to work on your strengths, even though they are the things that you are best at. I think that this is a good suggestion because havin stronger strengths will counteract and balance out your weaknesses, as well as give you a better idea of what you are really good at. By having great strengths, your weakness won’t be such a big deal, and they won’t have as much of an impact on your life as they would if your strengths weren’t really that good. I think that I could implement this into my own life by realizing what I am really good at, and focusing on that. I have realized that I’m not really good at animation, or graphic design, but I am really  good at management, and the business side of media. I can use this idea by focusing more on that aspect, then trying to be great at something I am terrible at.
The second point that I am going to look at is point 3 “Flawless: There’s Nothing Wrong With You”. This point looks at the idea that everyone is perfect just the way they are and that having weakness can actually be valuable to your life. Everyone is unique and different, and everyone has positive and negative things about themselves. Your strengths and weakness go together, and actually help you become a better person. I think that this is a really good suggestion. People often spend so much time consumed with whatever the think is wrong with them, and trying to change that. In that process, the lose part of who they are and what makes them so special and unique. It is important to understand that things that you think are wrong with you could ultimately end up being the things that help you the most. I think that I can use this in my creative life by looking at my weakness and strengths, and figuring out how I can make them work together.
The third point that I am going to look at is point 7 “Fit: Find The Right Spot”. This point is all about choosing a situation that fits your strengths, instead of trying to adapt to a situation that you don’t fit into. Rendall uses the example of Rudolph, who was made fun of because of his red nose, then made a hero when the time came. I think that this is a good suggestion because being a situation that doesn’t fit your strengths won’t work for anyone involved. If you are miserable and not good at your job, it won’t be a happy situation for anyone. Everyone’s strengths are different, and it is important that you find the place where your strengths work the best. I can use this in my creative life by making sure I find a job or internships that fit what my strengths, instead of trying to adapt to situations that I am not very good at. 
         Through this class I have found what some of my strengths and weakness are. My strengths are that I am pretty good at looking at the business and management side of things. I have also realized that I am pretty good at coming with creative ideas, as well focusing on the details like set design, production, and camera shots. I have found that my weakness deal with the more editing and digital side of things. I’m not very good at animating things, editing things, or drawing. Because of these strengths and weaknesses, I have decided to focus on media management over anything else.

1 comment:

  1. Good post analyzing the points being made. Of the other post I commented on for bonus, the person seemed to have the same opinions but completely different revelations regarding strengths and weaknesses. I'm Media Management as well, but really, really enjoy the creative side much more than the business side. Yet I think probably each person in this major is probably shifted towards one side or the other of the business/media spectrum.

    ReplyDelete